Friday, September 11, 2009

... Because He Needed Some Closure

So, I come home Thursday night from work just exhausted. I'm not really sure why because I've managed to perfect the art of looking busy while doing nothing all week at work. It's kind of sad and terrifying at the same time that I can convince people in my office that I'm maddeningly busy and actually be playing mafia wars all afternoon on Facebook.

Anyway, I sit down on my couch and decide to check email. Lo and behold, who has emailed me but our favorite confused bachelor. The email says the following: I'm really sorry - I wasn't myself when I was being a jerk to you. I'm going through a lot and can't deal with extra pressure right now. I'm really sorry.

Huh??

I mean, really. Huh??

What is that supposed to do for me? Make me feel better about how things went because you're really not an asshole but just acted like one for the last several weeks to a person you'd never even met before???

OK, OK. Now that's a bit harsh. But the reality is that he didn't send me this email for me to feel better - he sent it for HIM to feel better. This email was meant to calm some nagging feeling he was having about how he left things with me. Like he wanted to satisfy himself that he's still a "good guy" and that "good guys" apologize for being jerks or something. To me, that's totally unnecessary since we had only known each other for 3-4 weeks and had only spent time together on 3 occasions. At that point, you don't owe me squat.

I could have ignored the message. I could have written something bitchy back, but I did neither of those things. Nope! I wrote a sweet but firm message that said that I hoped, first and foremost, that he was doing OK. Second, that I stand by my decision to cut him off until and unless he becomes able to invest emotionally in me as much as he was asking me to invest in him. And I finished off by saying that the door is still open if he gets to a point in his life where he's worked things out and can actually get into a relationship. I think it was the right thing to do. Ad I'm proud of myself for sticking to my guns.

Now...on to the next.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home