Wednesday, August 26, 2009

.... But He Has Money.

OK, I'm going to leave my most recent, favorite-est, undecided bachelor behind for the moment. After my rant regarding his confusing email confession of not being able to get anything going at this point, I responded and just said that I will let him set the pace. To me, that means that I shut the hell up and wait for him to call/email/text/smoke signal me. Per my statement to that effect, we have 24 hours with no contact at this point. Go me for maintaining radio silence.

Ladies, I know you're with me when I say that the second you give up control of something like this and basically say that you're not going to call him, the only thing you want to do is call him. You don't even have anything to say! You just want to call him because its the ONE THING YOU CAN'T DO. So, to distract myself, I continued emailing with some other potential beaus...

So on the matching site I use, they recommend that you correspond with everyone they match you with regardless of whether or not you're physically attracted to the person when looking at their picture. This is a funny request to me. I mean, look. I've dated lots of guys and lots of the lots of guys I've dated have been people I wouldn't necessarily pick out of a crowd if asked to identify guys I thought were attractive. However, there has to be SOMETHING there that attracts me to them in order to have ANY potential to go anywhere. So, I follow the site's advice. I email with almost anyone who wants to chat on this site, regardless of how horrifying their picture is. And there are some real shockers out there.

Anyway, so I've been emailing with this guy recently whose photograph is of the sort that I have to ignore before hitting "send" on every email. He's a bit chubby - which isn't the problem - but he also kind of dowdy looking (i.e. ill-fitting, ugly clothes and holding a large trout or some manner of fish) in the picture. So every time I go to email this guy I literally think to myself "god, we'd better continue emailing for a while so that I develop some kind of interest in this guy before we meet so that I can overlook his physical appearance and try to enjoy our date." Which is sad! Until....

Last night he sent me an email that said something like the following:

I've worked very hard my whole life to get where I am today and I'm really looking for someone to share my financial security with. I want to be able to take another safari soon and want to find someone who would want to go with me to have that experience.

.... Wait. Wait, wait, wait. You want to take ANOTHER safari? You're looking for someone to COME WITH YOU on such a trip?

You're rich.

So here's the thing. I've never thought of myself as someone who would be interested in a man because he had money. I have a job. I have a good job. I make my own money. I have no interest in getting married just so that I can quit working and have my husband support me financially for the rest of my life. Fuck that.

However....

I confess that the disclosure of this information by my less-than-steamy-potential-love-match yesterday really upped the ante here. Now I'm a bit more interested. Now I'm finding myself checking my email frequently hoping to hear from him and kind of wondering whether I can parlay an upcoming first date into a dinner at Alinea or Tru or something....

This is terrible!! I don't use men for their money! I'm not at all interested in that kind of thing! I'm not that kind of girl! Or.... am I?

Is it just a universal truth that women are turned on by money? Is it possible that I don't know myself well enough to know that I would be interested in such a thing which I've resisted as a romantic turn on all my life? To be continued.... maybe.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home